Saturday, May 2, 2009

Inspiration for this blog

This is my mother Edna, taken in the 1930's at a skating rink. She was born in 1916, the youngest of 12 children, her mum, my grandmother, died in the 1918 flu epidemic at the end of the Great War (WWI), this broke up the large family and my mum was brought up by a childless aunt (my grandmother's sister) and uncle, my 'nanna' and 'pop'.

Mum was trained as a dressmaker and I grew up with her tales of 'make do and mend' in the depression years, she was very good at it, making herself a new evening frock every week to wear to the Saturday night dances and saved for a cruise to New Zealand.

In the late 1930's she met my dad, they married in 1939 at the start of WWII, my brother and sister were born during the war, but I'm the belated baby boomer child.
My mum's dad was German and her mum was Australian (English parents), my dad's mum was French and his father, Scottish, so we kids are second generation Australian from German, French and Scottish immigrants of the early 20th century with a local thrown in for good measure.

I have a pile of hand written recipes from my mum, food that says comfort and love. Food that is a reminder of a different time and pace in Australia. I don't have the original's, my elder sister has them, and my photocopies are fading, so its time to move them to a new medium and share with other's on the inter web. I hope you enjoy them.

I was inspired to write down my mum's hand written recipe's by @frombecca on Twitter, she is a foodie and poster of great recipes in the tweet and blog sphere. Her Becca's Bakery blog posts her mum's hand written recipes.



.

3 comments:

  1. very touched - very generous to share you mother's recipes with us all - the true spirit of cooking - and also very sweet to mention me as inspiration for this x much love

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really sweet Lorna. It's so special to share this stuff to keep it going. S. says she loves it too but she can't remember her login!! (It's a bit difficult to leave a comment unless you log in to google first).

    ReplyDelete